- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
Simple and delicious Empire biscuits made with shortbread, your favourite jam and an easy icing.
53 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 6 Empire biscuits
- 200g plain flour
- 150g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 6 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons of water or milk
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:10min ›Extra time:1hr chilling › Ready in:1hr40min
- Combine flour and butter and rub together till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar and mix to combine. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading slightly if needed, then wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Roll out half of the biscuit dough to 3-5mm thick. Cut out 6 rounds using a cutter, tin or glass. Repeat with the remaining dough. Transfer rounds to the prepared baking tray.
- Bake biscuits for 10 to 12 minutes, or till just golden around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool completely on the tray.
- Lay out 6 cooled biscuits bottom side facing up. Spread each with your favourite jam, then sandwich with another biscuit (bottom side touching the jam).
- Make the icing by combining the icing sugar with water or milk. Start with 1 to 2 teaspoons, mix well, then add more liquid only if needed to reach a spreading consistency. If the icing becomes too thin, add more icing sugar.
- Spread the top of each biscuit with the icing sugar. Set biscuits aside for the icing to set at room temperature.
For a traditional finish, top each biscuit with a glace cherry half before the icing sets.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
Lovely buttery biscuit with a crunch, gave it 14 mins instead of the 12 stated. Definitely worth making-16 Oct 2016